We have a team of people helping from home with editing e-books. These are books with expired copyrights that can be found online. Most of those e-books are scanned versions of printed books and contain spelling errors. The usually also show the formatting of the original printed book. We generate a Word document and format them to look like a clean document.
The formatting job includes:
- Use a consistent font in the whole book. A good font is Calibri 11 for text and Calibri 10 for footnotes
- Delete page headings and numbers, usually at the top of the page of the original book. Word will reorganize and renumber the pages
- Correct misspellings due to faulty OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
- Set the title of the preface, of the acknowledgments, and of each chapter as "Heading 1", Chapter sections as "Heading 2" and chapter subsubsections as "Heading 3", etc.
- Turn the original footnotes into Word footnotes (You can insert a footnote with Ctr-Alt-F). The original notes are part of the regular text in the unedited Word document.
- It is helpful to have both the Word and Pdf documents visible at the same time (two screens may help here). It is important to make sure the paragraphs of the original book and those of the edited Word document coincide. For that it is useful to look at both of them at the same time.